Wednesday 11 February 2015

Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes to Romance In Books

Top Ten Tuesday is a feature created by The Broke and The Bookish. Each week book bloggers make a list about ten books around a chosen topic.

This week: Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes to Romance In Books

I had to think about this one! I've gotten to the point where I'm pleasantly surprised when there isn't a romance in a book. It's something I've come to take for granted. In no particular order:


What I Like:

1) When the couple are friends first:

I love reading about how the main character and the love interest meet, become friends, crush on each other and then get together. It's nice that the love interest get to know you about who you are as a person first.

2) Adorable Meet Cutes

Do these ever happen in real life? I can dream I guess...

3) The Slow Burn

This one applies to trilogies and series. I don't mind the gradual development towards two characters forming a relationship if it's really well written and not the sole focus of the plot.

4) When it doesn't work out, but they part on good terms

Bonus point if they're still friends.

5) Diversity

I want to read about romances between book characters who range in their sexual orientations and ethnicities. Variety is needed!


What I Dislike:

1) Insta Love

I don't think I need to explain this one...

2) Cheating

It might feel good having an affair at the time, but is it really worth hurting a loved one?

3) When the Romance is half hearted

There's no point in writing a half hearted romance into a book when it doesn't fit into the story just because romance appeals to many readers. If you're going to include it, it has to be done well.

4) Stockholm Syndrome

It freaks me out. The end.

5) Arrogant Love Interests

I find over confidence extremely irritating. Character, how big your ego must be to be that full of yourself!


What are your likes/dislikes when it comes to romance in books?

No comments:

Post a Comment