Sunday 1 February 2015

#AYEARATHON Diversity Readathon

In my part of the world the February #AYEARATHON starts today! This time around it runs from Monday 2nd - Sunday 8th of February. For those curious, this event happens every first full week of the month. Many booktubers take part, but as I'm shy, I just join in the group discussions on Goodreads. You can vote on a group read and/or choose your own, as long as it fits the theme.

This month's theme is Diversity, which I am behind all the way. I can't emphasis enough how important it is for there to be an abundance of books about a variety of different races, sexualities, cultures, religions and disabilities. Representation of diversity is needed to reflect all the varied aspects of humans. It's so important for readers to find books reflecting a part of who they are, as well as learning and understanding about the differing lives and situations of other people.

One of my reading goals this year is to read more Diverse Books for these reasons. I joined the 2015 Dive Into Diversity challenge hosted by Rebecca at Reading Wishes and Magan and Estelle at Rather Be Reading to find like minded bookish people. I've made a goal of reading a minimum of 12 diverse books this year: so far I've read The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin (my reviews are coming soon), both which I enjoyed.

I'm not at all a fast reader, so for this readathon I've set the realistic (for me) goals re these two books:


I started To All the Boys I've Loved Before last year and remember enjoying the cute premise. Sadly, it got forgotten due to end of year exams and the pile of library books I got out after. As it's one of the group reads for this readathon I've got extra motivation to pick it back up! I read 160 pages before abandoning it and am looking forward to finishing it this week.


I'm also listening to the audiobook of Does My Head Look Big In This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah. It's about Amal's decision to start wearing the hijab at her Australian high school and her peers' reaction to this. It's amazing hearing how Amal came about this decision and how much her faith means to her. My goal for this book is to listen to between half an hour to an hour of it a day.

What are some diverse books you're recently read or are planning to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment