Saturday 24 January 2015

This Book could be Ours (3): Beautiful Oblivion by Jamie McGuire


Beautiful Oblivion by Jamie McGuire
First in The Maddox Brothers series
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary
Published: 1st January 2014
Publisher: Atria Books
Length: 337 pages
Format: Paperback
Source: My local library

Tell me more, tell me more...

Cami's took the weekend off from bar tending to spend time with her boyfriend, only for him to tell her he's tied up with work. Instead Cami goes out with a friend and gets hit on by Trenton, one of the infamous Maddox Brothers... How will she stop herself from falling for him?

Why did I read this?

I was craving a book all about the romance and found this when looking at my local library. After reading Fangirl and Just One Day I was curious to see what else the New Adult genre has to offer.

What I liked:

Events from prior books were explained well: When I picked up Beautiful Oblivion I didn't realise that characters and event from Beautiful Disaster and Walking Disaster were incorporated in the same timeline as Beautiful Oblivion. Initially I was worried about this due to the latter being the first novel I've read of McGuire's, but my worries were for naught. I don't feel like learning a little about Travis' and Abby's relationship spoiled the two books they're featured in for me. Rather, after getting a glimpse of the two I'm curious to go back and read their story.

The book isn't just a romance: I confess I've of a stereotype of the New Adult genre that hasn't featured in the three books I've read: endless sex. Beautiful Oblivion is focused on the development and then maintenance of of Cami's and Trenton's relationship in addition to each character's family strife. As I picked up this book primarily for the love story, it was pleasantly unexpected that the romance wasn't bloated.

Cami: Our narrator is a tough talking, hardworking woman whose personality and situation is realistic of a college student's. She relishes being independent, yet knows the importance of close relationships with her loved ones.

Trenton: The love interest sure delivers! It's hard not to like Trenton with his combination of confidence and kindness. I like that he's portrayed with flaws and has problems of his own, as well as his tattoos.

Who might like this?

Readers looking for a realistic college aged narrator falling for an attractive, thoughtful guy who is not the sole concern of her life.

Final Thoughts:

Beautiful Oblivion more than satisfied my craving to read a romance. This novel captivated my attention, taking only a weekend for me to read. I'm looking forward to checking out McGuire's other novels and can't wait to read Beautiful Redemption!

What New Adult books have you enjoyed?

No comments:

Post a Comment